Monday, August 3, 2009

Da Vinci Diary

So, on Saturday I started reading 'The Da Vinci Code'. In Dutch. Why? Because I have been frequently told it is exremely badly written and designed for people with a reading age of five, hence it should be at a perfect level for my purpose of trying to learn Dutch. Or so I thought.
On Saturday I read the first 2 and a half pages. It took me one and a half hours.
The next pages were a bit easier and, once I got into the habit of ignoring all words that I didn't know that weren't verbs or nouns (screw you adjectives! Why do I need to know what type of hand a person has? Isn't it enough to know that they have a hand?) by Sunday I had managed to reach page 25. During this laborious process I did pick up plenty of vocabulary though and the sentence structure is really easy to follow, plus, the dialogue is so cliched you can pretty much guess what they're saying even if you don't know some of the words. I shall give a full lowdown of the intricacies of reading The Da Vinci code in the next podcast.

So: Start Date: 1 August 2009

Da Vinci Diary.
Date: 2 August 2009, Page 25.

1 comment:

Jack C said...

glad you're enjoying it dave
i saw the film once and thought it was a really terrible story which replaces the need for any sort of interest with increased outlandishness


anyway, i wont ruin it for you


i've just got back from france, and wont be able to make it to lincoln before you're repatriation but have a good summer
i await the next podcast as always