Thursday, September 18, 2008

Haagcore Podcast #2 - Prinsjedag

Well, the new podcast is up at:
Haagcore Podcast #2: Prinsjedag: https://www.yousendit.com/download/bVlCSXQrdzhtNEozZUE9PQ

It includes everything you could wish from a podcast, as long as the things you wish for are: anti-monarchism; Dutch food, trams and toilets; radiohead covers; me going waaay off topic; The Large Hadron Collider; Soulful Dave P and my Top 5 Favourite Dutch Things (as of 16 September).

Thanks to everyone who said they liked the first podcast.

THE REDEEMER
I have recently had an idea which I have decided to call 'The Redeemer' (both after Our Lord And Saviour, and after the most powerful weapon in the computer game Unreal Tournament 2003).
It was inspired by some music I have been working on lately: The first piece of background music in the podcast is a dance track made almost entirely from samples of the much (and unfairly) maligned 1990s Britpop band Sleeper. I have also just heard a new Soulful Dave P track now up at his myspace, in which he samples Jethro Tull's track 'Dot Com' (a song with possibly the worst chorus ever written) from the horrifically bad album 'J-Tull.com'.

These both inspired me to set up a project whereby the idea is to take the worst pop songs in recorded musical history and turn them into solid pop gold.

I'm not talking about novelty records, I'm talking about just earnestly meant but genuinely awful music, like: New Kids On The Block, Zodiac Mindwarp and The Love Reaction, and Pj and Duncan's second album. I'm talking about music so bad that its creators are too embarrassed to sue for copyright infringement; music so bad that it would turn up on the list of 'pros and cons' you'd draw up if you were deciding whether or not to commit suicide.

The idea behind the project would be to sample these tracks in such a way to make them good music. They say you can't polish a turd - but, damn it, I'm going to try!

Suggestions for songs to use would be welcome; and if anybody has too much time on their hands and wants to participate by creating their own track, that would be awesome: we could set up an online community for making bad stuff good! Contact me if you're interested.

DATES FOR YOUR DIARY
Just so you know when I'm back in the country:
October 28th-1 December - In Huddersfield for the Huddersfield Contemporary Music Festival
Arriving 10:10am at Leeds Bradford - Flying Back 17:55.

Christmas:
22 December - 4 January. In Lincoln.

Hope everyone is cool.

dp

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi dave. Been reading your blog. I like :) see ur in hudd for a few weeks soon - exciting. I see u use blog spot. Same here, i use it for my intern blog. Its work in progress atm. Will send you The link when i'm happy with it. Ha ha. So when i send The link, check it out. Speak soon. Keep in touch. :)

Katayun said...

Yay for more Haagcore Podcating! These go straight up my league of joy to join Stephen Fry and Dr Karl.

Dappy said...

Glad you're enjoying them Katy; up with Mr Fry! that is some high praise indeed! I have not heard of Dr Karl but I shall be sure to check that out, now.

Anonymous said...

I've got the Still Dre a capella just wasting away on my hard drive,
just kind find anything to mash-it with.


Jack aka
The Redeemer, M-M-M-MONSTER KILL!